Sunday, November 15, 2009

Curl Up With a Book Sunday


Bone Volume 1: Out From Boneville Bone Volume 1: Out From Boneville by Jeff Smith


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
When I was a kid I liked comic books, but then I set those aside (with a few exceptions like Calvin & Hobbes and Opus). My son never really seemed interested in either comics or graphic novels until he saw this one. A recent Scholastic book form had deal on this first volume. Now I almost wish I had popped for the entire set. This is a fun book and the artwork is incredible. It isn't for the young children, but my tween enjoyed it immensely. He also now wants all the rest of the set. Unfortunately, $10 per volume is a bit more than I like to spend for books that Young Man finishes in one day! There are other options (a full set of the 13 issues is in one volume as long as we don't mind black & white).

For those of you who haven't run across the Bone books, this is an adventure of three cousins, Fone, Phoney, and Smiley Bone. Phoney seems rotten to the core, Smiley can't pass up a bet, and Fone tries to help everyone. They get run out of Boneville and are trying to find a way back when they get separated and encounter rat creatures, a dragon and the gorgeous Thorn. It is a fun ride and I am looking forward to the next book in the series!

View all my reviews >>

No comments: