Thursday, January 31, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Quirky

Sometimes I find eccentric characters quirky and fun, other times I find them too unbelievable and annoying. What are some of the more outrageous characters you’ve read, and how do you feel about them?

I can see from the other participants in this week's BTT that most of us struggled a bit with this one. Maybe it is because I often strive to be eccentric and quirky, but I usually find that I identify more with the outrageous characters than with those that go about their dreery way filling out the story. I want to escape and go places where I've never been and do things that I would never dream of doing. If I cannot muster the spirit to do these things, then the characters I read simply must. I adore the goofy and serious eccentrics in the Harry Potter series and all of Douglas Adams' characters were certainly eccentric. Even Dent, Arthur Dent had an eccentric streak in him. Probably the only quirky character that I can think of that I didn't like was Mr. Wodehouse from Jane Austen's Emma. He was such a hypochondriac that everyone had to adjust everything they did and said to ensure that he didn't spoil every event. That was a bit too much even for me. I want my eccentrics to get out of the house!

No comments: