Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Don't Believe Everything


Just because ABC is broadcasting lovely, sunny pictures from Southern California for the Rose Bowl, does not mean that it really is that pretty here. In fact, it is quite cloudy. This is a very good thing as our humidity has increased from 19% to 67% over the day. It is supposed to rain on Thursday, just in time for me to drive to work. Hmmm.

December was a very silly month. Between getting ready for holidays, shipping stuff for holidays, celebrating holidays, and, of course, recovering from holidays, there was no time at all left over for blogging. There was crafting. Lots of crafting. Young Man still won't stand still long enough for a photo shoot with his new Wallaby (and fingerless gloves), but there are many other hand-crafted items that flew east for gifting.

Thanks to Alison and her hints, I found some super-quick kits for lovey-type quilts that went together nicely for two of the new babies in the family. Satin is still one of my least favorite fabrics, but the end results were worth the annoyance.

Pattern: Just a lengthwise garter stitch with color change every other row and a quick not-quite-lace border at each end.
Yarn: Trendsetter Dune in two colors
Needles: US 10 1/2, I think
Notes: This yarn is a little difficult to work with because of the double strands, the mohair in one strand, and the metal in the other. The bottom line is that you have to be sure that you want to knit a stitch because it isn't likely to come out later! The result was just what I envisioned, so I am very glad that I stuck with it. This very long scarf went off to my mother-in-law. She is tall, so extra length was necessary.



Pattern: Seaman's Cap

Yarn: Plymouth Encore

Needles: US 6 and 7, I think

Notes: I wanted to send a nice, warm hat off to my father-in-law to keep his ears warm. I added a bit of length to the brim and the body of the hat to make sure that it was long enough.





Pattern: House Hat and Mittens from Charmed Knits, by Alison Hansel
Yarn: Plymouth Encore
Needles: Whatever the book said
Notes: I still love making this hat. It is so easy and works so well! These are my first ever mittens and they turned out wonderfully well. This set went off to Young Man's cousin.












No comments: