Sunday, May 25, 2008

Curl Up With a Book Sunday

It has taken me a solid week to process my latest children's book. Fly By Night, by Frances Hardinge, is absolutely wonderful! Ms. Hardinge creates an intricate world full of terrible things (banning books!!!) and suspicious people. She explores power and the ways in which absolute power corrupts. She also introduces us to rich and colorful characters who have far greater depth of character than we initially realize. Many of her characters show their best as they are forced into roles that are far beyond any that they imagined they could fulfil. The characters are developed well and the plot thoroughly tracked. The only downside is that the book is a touch long. I enjoyed every bit, but a little more editing might make it more accessible. Still, I highly recommend this book for young adults of any age.

Once again, I owe a debt to Elizabeth Bird. Her wonderful blog, A Fuse #8 Production, regularly introduces me to new delights and this is one. Like her, I can hardly wait for Ms. Hardinge's next book, Well Witched. Unlike Ms. Bird, I haven't had an advance copy to review!

No comments: