Thursday, May 08, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Manual Labor

Writing guides, grammar books, punctuation how-tos . . . do you read them? Not read them? How many writing books, grammar books, dictionaries–if any–do you have in your library?

I enjoy some how-to books for writing. I have the trusty Strunk & White, of course, I use a secretarial handbook quite often to check business formatting questions, and I have treated myself to a copy of Words Into Type and The Chicago Manual of Style. A cursory glance at the bookshelves yielded a quick count of an even dozen different grammar, writing, or dictionary-type books. Duplicates weren't counted. A year or so ago, a friend even treated me to one of my Amazon wishlist items, Common Errors in English Usage, by Paul Brians. How sweet was that? Beyond that, both Mr. Engineer and I enjoy books that describe the common sayings and oddities of the English language.



Oh, to follow up on yesterday's post, yes, Young Man did get that ball away from his competitor. The final score was 6-1.

No comments: