Thursday, May 22, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Books Vs Movies

Books and films both tell stories, but what we want from a book can be different from what we want from a movie. Is this true for you? If so, what’s the difference between a book and a movie?

This is taking more thought than I expected. My first instinct was to state that to me, books are to movies as long-term relationships are to flings. Perhaps a better analogy is gourmet meals to fast food. With a book, I invest time and ingredients such as emotion and energy. I plan and I anticipate the payoff at the end. This would explain why I am so deeply affected when a book disappoints me. A perfect example is The Gathering. After being dragged through emotions and memories only to discover that many were blind alleys, I expected some answer, some closure. Instead, I was left with an ending that rang false to my sensibilities. With a movie, I expect a good time, perhaps some spice, but I don't really expect to be moved.

Unfortunately, the movie publicity machine is so good ate what it does, that I deceive myself into believing that a fast food bite will satisfy me and move me the way an extraordinary gourmet meal can excite and entice my senses and sear itself into my synapses until I never forget the experience. Time and again, I go to a movie and walk out only partially satisfied. The truth is that no move is ever going to give me what a good book can. Maybe if I can remember this the next time I go to a theater, I can just enjoy the short snack for what it is.

No comments: