Monday, June 16, 2008

Summertime Shawl?


Project: Woodland Shawl, by Nikol Lohr


Yarn: Trekking Hand Art in Tundra (~1.2 skeins)
Finished (blocked) size: 49" x 20"
Needles: US 6 (4.0mm) circular



Notes: This was a very quick and easy knit. It would have gone more quickly if I hadn't had so many doubts about the color. All lace looks like barf before it is blocked, but I couldn't get past how dull the colors of this yarn looked when it was all wadded up. I stretched it out several times and finally decided that it was okay. I also decided that one skein of yarn wasn't quite enough so I bought a second and used some. Hopefully I left enough for a pair of Nutkin socks. The final stole is very pretty and will be a great fall/winter item. Mr. Engineer even noted that the greens and reds will make it go well for Christmastime. Where did he get all that skill in encouraging the discouraged? This is why he is such a great supervisor.

It's always hard to get a closeup of lace, but here is the best I could do. I think it turned out very well. The extra yarn made it a bit longer (49" instead of the pattern's 40"). I also continued through the second to last row of the repeat before adding an ending ribbing. I liked the symmetry with the beginning. I don't think it really mattered, but I like the finished project.

No comments: