Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Definition

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

Oh, my, there are so many ways that I could approach this. I think I will stick to a somewhat inclusive definition. For me, a reader is someone who has the skills to decode written language and has developed those skills sufficiently to be able to understand the material presented and enjoys the process. With this definition, Young Man became a reader in Kindergarten thanks to the wonderful Mrs. C who produced a room full of readers by the end of the school year. Young Man attends a Carden school and the method is amazing. It really works. A wonderfully enthusiastic teacher helped encourage Young Man until he really enjoyed what he was doing. The summer after Kindergarten he really enjoyed reading to the child of one of our friends. Seeing those two little boys curled up together enjoying a book was one of the highlights of my summer!

I include enjoyment to my definition because I have a friend who hates reading. She can do it well and must read a fair amount (she is finishing up an advanced degree), but she doesn't like it. Diving into a book brings her no joy. I don't understand this at all, but I do accept it. She doesn't describe herself as a reader so I will not either.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

You hit the nail on the head: it's enjoyment that makes someone who can read a reader!