Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday Sky With Apple Tree


Yes, the apples have spots. If you grow organic apples (and are an incredibly lazy gardener) you have to expect to share some of the fruit. Since there is no way that we will be able to eat all of the apples from the tree, this isn't a problem for any of us. I do need to start picking. I foresee chunky applesauce in our near future.

Yesterday I shocked a friend when I mentioned that I needed to pick apples. She wants to know just how big of a lot we have. Actually, we have a very small city lot. I think we are 59 feet by 100 feet and our 1630 square foot house takes up a lot of that. The backyard is only 59 feet by 25 feet or so. In that space we have four trees and a garden. The trees are one each of apple, orange, lemon, and lime. The garden is 15 feet by 5 feet and there is a triangular extension on one end for herbs. This year the garden has only tomatoes and peppers in it. Usually we have a few other things, but that didn't work so well last year. We are keeping things simple this year. I call it my salsa garden. We used to have grape vines along the back wall, but something killed them off and we didn't think it a good idea to replant in the same space.

No comments: