Sunday, February 24, 2008

Curl Up With a Book Sunday

Today's book is The Willoughbys, by Lois Lowry. This is a delightful children's book. How could anyone not like a book written for children that describes the parents as irascible and indolent? I adore children's books that do not speak down to the children. While many of the reviews offer comparisons to the Series of Unfortunate Events books, I don't think that will give potential readers a feel for the book. The Willoughbys has some of the same elements, but it seems quite a bit less morbid and more humorous. Okay, so there is some morbidity and the ending could be seen by some as dreadful, but it is all handled masterfully and without becoming maudlin. It is especially delightful to find a children's book that includes an epilogue, a glossary, and a bibliography! So few books in this genre offer references to the sources of the inside jokes. This just makes it a complete experience. Amazon says that this is for ages 9-12, but I think a bit younger would enjoy this - then again, Young Man was reading Harry Potter in second grade, so I might have skewed expectations.

As for any who are wondering how I got my hands on a copy of a book that isn't due to be released for another month, there is no mystery. I have had quite a run of luck in the blogosphere lately and I won a review copy of this book from Elizabeth Bird in a contest on her spectacular blog, A Fuse #8 Production. If you love books for children and young adults, I highly recommend adding this blog to your subscribed feeds

No comments: