Thursday, February 28, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Heroine

Who is your favorite female lead character? And why? (And yes, of course, you can name more than one . . . I always have trouble narrowing down these things to one name, why should I force you to?)

Oh, dear, this is a difficult one. If I were feeling better, I would certainly spend more time and effort on this because it is a challenging question. However, since I do not recover as quickly as Young Man from colds (I'm to the coughing and snuffling stage, next comes the Lauren Bacall voice), I'm going with my first reaction to the question. I will have to say that my favorite female character is Miss Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. Miss Bennet is bright and thoughtful in an age where that was not always valued. She is sensible where so many in her family are wildly not. Eventually, she wins the heart and even the mind of Mr. Darcy who can appreciate her intellect and spirit. As will all Austen novels, it is never this simple and economics certainly factor into life. Still, the happy ending arrives for all.

Now, I'm back to my simple scarf knitting and a box of tissues.

No comments: