Friday, August 01, 2008

If It's Friday, It Must Be New York

If I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what day it is, I think I should be cut a little slack. You see, I sort of missed Thursday night and Friday has been a very large blur.

On Thursday, Mr. Engineer dropped off his family at the Long Beach Airport and Young Man and I headed off for adventures. After a fun time in the airport (if getting 45 young men under the age of 15 onto a plane can be called fun), we went on a five-hour flight to Boston. Young Man sat back with his teammates and actually slept! I sat with people completely unassociated with our group and also slept. Young Man and his team then went on a four-hour bus trip to New York. I got a rental car and drove the four hours. Caffeine and reasonable breaks are wonderful things!

The team is having a great time. They moved into two cabins (one for the 5/6 team and one for the 7/8 team). I tried to stay out of the way and provide a bit of help where I could. After making sure that they got some food, the other parents on the first part of the trip left the team with the coaches and got some rest. It feels kind of strange to be on vacation without my engineers. We are such a good team that splitting us up (even for a week) is disconcerting. I'll be back to the camp to watch the first games tomorrow. This is going to be a great week!

No comments: