Thursday, August 14, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Gold Medal Reading

You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:
First:
- Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
- Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?
And, Second:
- Do you consider yourself a sports fan? Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
(Or a good sports movie, for that matter. Feel free to expand this into a discussion about “Friday Night Lights” or “The Natural” or whatever…)

I'm not really big on reading sports books. I have read a couple of books on lacrosse. This season I picked up a book on coaching boys lacrosse. Neither Mr. Engineer or I have any desire to become coaches, we just want to know more about the game. Fictional sports books don't interest me at all. The only other sports-related books that I can think of in my library are two Lance Armstrong biographies. I have read It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, but have yet to open Every Second Counts. I originally read the first book as a selection from my book club and it was a very good read. I'm not sure that I would like Lance Armstrong if I met him, but I am very impressed by his drive and determination.

I do consider myself a sports fan. I love watching Young Man play lacrosse and soccer and I really enjoy a good baseball game. The Olympics are fun as well when I can wrest the remote away from Mr. Engineer. Since I am a sports watcher and not a sports participator, I think that I find viewing sports more enjoyable than reading about them. I much prefer sports movies to books. Give me Bull Durham any day. Of course, there is a bit more than baseball going on there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe I'll Pitch Forever" by Satchel Paige is a wonderful sports book.

I also enjoyed "Screwballs" by Jay Cronley.