Thursday, July 17, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Vacation Spots

Another question inspired by the Bunch of Grapes on Martha’s Vineyard having burned down on the Fourth of July.
Do you buy books while on vacation/holiday?
Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit while away on a trip?
What/Where are they?
I’m still devastated about the Bunch of Grapes, even though I usually only got to visit it once or twice a year–it was such a vital part of my trips to Martha’s Vineyard. Its (hopefully temporary) loss won’t affect my day-to-day book habits, but it was such a wonderful store on one of my favorite places. Stopping there was such a strong tradition, and I’m going to miss it as part of my vacations. But it made me think–I always buy books when I’m away from home. They’re as much of a trip-souvenir as any t-shirt or trinket. Better, even! And it occurs to me that I can’t be the only one of us who does that, huh?


I often buy books when I am on vacation. Unfortunately, I haven't searched out any special bookstores at our usual haunts. I do very much enjoy finding new bookstores when we travel. On this latest trip, I knew that time would be precious so we all packed our extra books. The weather has been too nice for much reading. This means that I haven't even finished one book! It did rain this morning and I took the time to read work email. The storm is clearing and we can get back to fun. I have had a few moments to sit on a swing with a book and those have been glorious!

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

Yes, the quiet times on a swing sound like good book-reading times.