Thursday, January 11, 2007

It's Thursday
So there must be books! Today's question: What are you reading right now? (Well, obviously, you're reading THIS right now, perhaps I should have been more clear. What book(s) are you in the process of reading? (grin))

I always have several books going at the same time. I know this confuses some people, but this way I can pick up whatever strikes my fancy without guilt. There are currently three main books on my list:

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe - This was the January choice for my book club. I'm about halfway through. Even though we had our discussion yesterday, I will still finish it. Moll is a character and her resilience is impressive.

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin - This is the reason that I didn't finish my book club book in time for the discussion! I received this for the holidays and settled in with it right away. I love history books that make the history come alive. We have a rich and amazing past and the books about it should be interesting. This one is a pleasure to read. Abraham Lincoln had so many challenges during his presidency and one of the big ones was bringing together those who didn't think he should have been elected in the first place.

A History of God by Karen Armstrong - Some of my friends may wonder about this choice. I am not a religious person and do not actually believe in gods. However, I am fascinated by the need that so many have for religion in their lives and I want to understand the history of religion and how it influences people and countries today.

And now for something completely different... (can you tell that we got the Monty Python 16-ton megaset?) It is supposed to rain soon. Bring it on!

1 comment:

--Deb said...

I've been waiting to read the Kearns book . . . I waited for it to be in paperback, and now am just waiting for a "break" in the schedule! I want the time to really enjoy it--it looks great.