Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Re-Visiting an Old Companion

Presumed InnocentPresumed Innocent by Scott Turow

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was my second time reading this book. I read it back in the late 80s/early 90s when I was doing a lot of traveling and this was exactly the sort of book that could suck me in and make those cross-country flights tolerable. The second time was nearly as good as the first. I was a bit concerned that knowing whodunnit would detract from my reading pleasure, but I found that not to be the case. Knowing the ending actually freed me to enjoy more of the writing style and see how the plot was set up.

If you haven't read this (or seen the movie), the premise is that Rusty Sabich, Chief Deputy PA for Kindle County, is investigating the murder of the woman with whom he had an affair only to become the prime suspect and be put on trial for the murder. The twists and turns leave you wondering all the way to the end (and maybe even after) whether or not he did it. All in all, it is still an engaging read and holds up well 23 years after its debut. I am now looking forward to the sequel, Innocent!



View all my reviews