Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Powerful Books for Teens and Former Teens

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3)Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wow! This is definitely not your average young adult series! The plot is intense and the violence far more graphic and widespread than you would expect for the intended audience. I have to agree with most of the reviews of this book that I have read that this was the weakest of the three. After dealing with the Katniss is unconscious, let's fill everyone in device for the third or fourth time I was getting annoyed. My suspicion is that Ms. Collins had more material than would fit into a single book, but not quite enough plot to stretch into a fourth book. Hence, the somewhat artificial plot device to keep things moving. Over at the blog Through the Tollbooth, there is a series of articles on making your writing believable. Do I really believe that Katniss could unite a country? Probably not. But when I was 17, I certainly wanted to be able to influence people and be strong for everyone around me. Maybe that is good enough.


I will continue to rave about this series and recommend it to others. That recommendation comes with the caveat that some portions of the books (especially this one) shouldn't be read just before bedtime if you are a sensitive reader and this really isn't a young, young adult book.


View all my reviews