Thursday, January 01, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - New Year's Resolutions

So ... any Reading Resolutions? Say, specific books you plan to read? A plan to read more ____? Anything at all?

Name me at least ONE thing you're looking forward to reading this year!

Yes, it is a new year and I'm back to Booking Through Thursday! My first reading resolution is to do again what I did last year and read every one of the 11 books for my book club. I've already finished the first one, Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë. The next book is Murder with Peacocks, by Donna Andrews.

My next reading resolution is to finish the trilogy of conversations books that are sitting on my shelves. I really need to read Crucial Conversations, Crucial Confrontations, and Difficult Conversations. As you might gather from this list, there are some things that need to be said and I am having trouble figuring out how to say them or if I should even be in the middle of the mess.

I am also really looking forward to reading Memo to the President Elect, by Madeleine Albright. She is such an amazing person and I am curious as to what she has to offer. Young Man is eager for me to catch up to him in the Inheritance series, by Christopher Paolini. I have only read Eragon. He has finished Eragon and Eldest and is 400+ pages into Brisingr (since Christmas Day). I have a significant stash of young adult books waiting for me thanks to the wonderful reviews from Elizabeth Bird. Finally, I am enjoying the book lover site, Goodreads. Between that and Ravelry, it's a wonder I have any time for reading (or knitting or quilting)!


There is photographic proof that I have made time for some other projects. I give you a so-so picture of the first finished item of 2009!

Project: NFL Team Quilt

Size: Twin

Materials: NFL team fabrics with Kona white and black in snowball blocks.

Notes: These are blocks from a block swap that I was in years ago in the About.com Quilting forum. It was after this one that I gave up on block swaps. I thought that the instructions were very clear, but it was surprising to me how many ways people could interpret them! I had to rework nearly half of the blocks before I could put the quilt top together. The final result was worth the trouble. Young Man grew out of his I-Spy quilt (I had cleverly made it reversible so we did get a little more time with it) and really wanted something more grown up. He loves football and was excited to learn that this set of blocks was for him.

No comments: