Sunday, June 25, 2006

Bring On the Hand Knits!

It has been busy few weeks here at Chez Engineer. After the big Boston trip, there were many things waiting for attention. The big news is that two finished objects are now in my wardrobe.

First, we have some new socks!
Pattern: Plain 3x1 rib with 1x1 cuff.
Yarn: Fortissima Cotton Colori in some variegated colorway picked up on a $3/ball sale. Yes, $3 socks!!!
Needles: US 1 dpns
Notes: Very easy, almost mindless lunchtime knitting. The cotton is beautifully comfortable for summer and these go well with jeans. They also wash very well. Even if this hadn't been a terrific steal for the yarn, I would love these socks, but the bargain makes them even sweeter.

Next up is Aran Rose Peach. Yes, it is finished!
Pattern: Aran Rose from the Spring 2006 issue of Interweave Knits
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cotton DK in 13028 (tangerine/peach), approximately 15 balls (maybe a smidgen of the 16th ball was used)
Needles: US 6 Addi Turbos
Modifications: I made the body a little longer because no one wants to see my midrif and I added a bit to the sleeves because I have long arms (in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have added to the sleeves because they will probably stretch). I also added decreases to shape the neck. The model must have had decreases as well (even though they weren't in the pattern). If not, the only way to display the neckline as in the magazine would include the use of safety pins.


Notes: I love this sweater! This is the first full sweater that I have made for myself and it is so comfortable! I got 13 of the balls of this yarn on the same $3/ball sale as the sock yarn. I love Suzoo's Woolworks! The realization that I would need 2-3 more balls was a tough one to accept. This time, DreamWeaver Yarns came to my rescue. They not only had the yarn, but it was in the same dye lot! Debbie Bliss yarns must come in huge dye lots or I got really, really lucky. I didn't even think to ask about lots, but sometimes things go right.

Currently on the needles are the three pairs of socks including the first socks for Mr. Engineer. He is getting a stylish pair of grey wool socks done in the Gentleman's Sock with Lozenge Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks. Mr. Engineer is still unconvinced about handknit socks, but he did have to admit that they are very nice at the half-way point of the first sock.

Thank you for the comments on the Trekking sock. I have now turned the heel and they look very nice. The pattern is Melanie's Twist and it works very well with the Trekking varigation. My good deed of the Boston trip was to share the pattern (with full credit to the source) with a friendly knitter on the plane home.

2 comments:

Emma said...

The sweater is gorgeous, and, yay for $3 socks!

Jane said...

The sweater is fabulous and looks wonderful on you.