Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Life's Too Short...

...to drink bad wine or read so-so books. Anyone who has been paying attention to my sidebar of books can see that some books just land on my nightstand and take a really long time to move along. Others just won't let me put them down. Tonight I decided to stop reading Medieval People. It's not a bad book. It's actually rather interesting in a not-quite-serious-enough way. This was a pick by my book club for the March discussion. I've read about half of the book. It is a short textbook written in the 1920s. The author puts in a lot of wit with the facts, but I can't help thinking that some of her facts are perhaps not all that factual. There seems to be a lot of modern spin put onto the history. I've just had enough of it.

Maybe the problem is that I'm feeling fluffy. The book that I'm having trouble putting down is Knit Lit (too). This is a selection of short stories about knitting. Lest you think this too boring, trust me, this is a great book. I originally picked it up because a friend of mine wrote one of the stories, but the other entries are sucking me in. This year, my big resolution is to learn to knit and this book is especially interesting to me as I learn about the "Zen" of knitting. If you have a knitter among your friends, you might want to pick this one up as a surprise gift.

No comments: