Sunday, January 10, 2010

Curl Up With a Book Sunday

I really wish I had photos from Young Man's game yesterday, but it was a night game ane I just can't seem to get decent pictures under the lights. It was a fun game for us. Young Man's team won 14-1. While it was a great boost to their egos (and a fun way to start the season), I'm sure future opponents won't be so easily defeated. What was really fun to watch was the way the boys played together as a team. Over the years we parents have waited for this moment. We all knew that our boys had skill and we saw glimmers of working together, but this really was the first time that almost every boy seemed willing to work together and achieve assists instead of individual goals. The results of this teamwork were obvious - field domination. Young Man and his fellow defensemen had some good plays, but most of the action was near the opponent's goal. Next weekend is an afternoon game and I will have my camera charged and ready!

As a consolation prize, I give you two books for your reading pleasure.


A Single Shard A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was assigned to my son for his 7th grade history class. I knew his teacher was onto something when I picked up the book after work on Friday and he was finished with it before 10:45 a.m. Saturday! Any book that was assigned for a class yet still keeps a 12-year old off the video games must be a winner! Of course, this book was already the winner of the Newbery medal in 2002.

This is the story of Tree Ear, orphan, outcast, but a young man well raised by another outcast, Crane-man, in 13th century Korea. While it is ostensibly a story about a potter's assistant, there is far more to the story than that. Linda Sue Park did an excellent job of weaving in historical details that are sharp enough to stick in a young mind. She also adds many moral lessons that help to mold young minds much as Tree Ear hopes to mold clay.

Teachers and parents, don't miss this one!


Fleece Navidad (Knitting Mystery, Book 6) Fleece Navidad by Maggie Sefton


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Yes, more "popcorn" reading. I admit that I like the break that Maggie Sefton's Knitting Mysteries provide. As with all the others, I figured out whodunit long before the last potluck, but I didn't really care. This one had some elements that seemed a little less polished than some of the other books. While it was about time that Kelly and Steve got together, the increased sexual innuendo really didn't thrill me.


View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.