Saturday, September 22, 2007

Rainy Days and Saturdays
I know that everyone snickers about the way Southern Californians go on (and on and on) about the weather. You would think that we actually get some. Why do you think the local stations hire comedians for the weather people? In general, our weather reports are just excuses for a bit of entertainment. We are all rather excited to get anything out of the ordinary. Measurable precipitation in September is definitely out of the ordinary. Yes, Southern California had a nice shower today. The sky is now clean and everything looks much better.

This change in the weather certainly turned on the knitting switch at Chez Engineer. I had fun trying some new yarn and working through some long-held stash.

I present the Fred Textured sweater from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms. This was a really quick knit. I used the new Bernat Organic Cotton in Cactus and some US 5 and US 6 circular needles The buttons are cute little silvertone stars. After I was nearly finished I realized that the pattern called for DK weight and the Bernat is really more of a worsted. Did I mention that I've been having a bit of trouble with gauge lately? Um, yes, well, some of that might be my own doing. In any case, the sweater appears to be in the correct proportions so it will still fit a baby, just maybe a slightly larger baby than that for which I planned. I also whipped up a quick beanie hat from the same book to make a set. And because I've definitely gone over the edge, I made two House Hats out of Woolease (yay for stash) for the brothers of the new wee one for whom I made the sweater. We wouldn't want anyone to feel left out, now would we?

Well, one person is feeling left out and he isn't too thrilled with the rain...

No comments: