Thursday, December 30, 2010

Endings, Beginnings, and a Pattern!

To enable my obsession with reading, I ended 2010 with a new toy. I am now the proud owner of a Nookcolor. I love it! Young Man and I both scored them for the holidays. Young Man picked out a nice book-style cover from B&N for his. I haven't decided whether I want one of the heavenly tooled leather covers from Oberon or an easel-style for hands-free reading. Until I decide, I figured that my new toy needed a cover, so the Nook Cozy was born:

Nook Cozy
Yarn: Any worsted-weight will do. Mine is knit is a Malabrigo kettle-dyed worsted that is just lovely and soft, but way too busy for most projects.
Needles: US 8 (5mm) - I used double-pointed needles, but a 16in circular would work too.

Pattern:
Using Judy's Magic Cast-On (or your favorite for toe-up socks) cast on 52 stitches and join for working in the round.

Body:
Rnd 1-5: k7, p2, k8, p2, knit to end of round
Rnd 6: k7, p2, cable cross left over 8 stitches (put 4 stitches on cable needle, hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle), p2, knit to end of round
Rnd 7-8: k7, p2, k8, p2, knit to end of round
Repeat rows 1-8 six times more (seven cable crosses in total).

Top:
Rnd 1: p9, p2tog four times (four stitches decreased), p9, knit to end of round
Rnd 2: knit
Rnd 3: bind off 22 stitches in purl, p3, k20, p3

Flap:
At this point you will be working back and forth to complete the flap.
Row 1: purl
Row 2: p3, k20, p3
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until flap is approximately 1 1/2 inches long (I did five more repeats), repeat row 1 one more time.
Buttonhole rows:
Row 1: p3, k9, bind off 2 stitches, k9, p3
Row 2: p12, cast on 2 stitches, p12

Garter stitch edge:
Purl 2 rows and bind off in purl.
Finishing:
Weave in ends and add a decorative button over the top cable cross.


Credits: I used parts from both of these eReader sleeve patterns: Kindle Pocket and Cabled Kindle Sleeve.